Search Engine Optimisation refers to the science of making sure that your website comes on top of the search results to attract your target audience. SEO has its own syntax- it does not involve stuffing keywords or having many product pages to spank up your ranking. If you do this, the chances are high that you will not achieve the desired results. There are rules. Your pages should have a mobile-friendly interface and feature relevant keywords.
Every now and then, SEO techniques keep changing. Some hacks that would have won you a front-page ranking a couple of years back may be obsolete today. This means that you always need to stay on top of the ball. With the correct SEO techniques, you are almost guaranteed to generate considerable traffic to your website.
Grow rankings with actionable SEO techniques?
The moment your website ranks in the first result page in Google, this means that you’ll get more traffic. It also translates to more conversions and higher revenue for your business.
Here is a list of SEO techniques which will assist you to get proper ranking and score over your competitors:
When you improve engagement, it means that you are able to hold the user’s attention so that they spend more time on a certain page. Websites that have strong user engagement usually get rewarded with high page ranking.
Users will spend more time on your page because they found it useful. Google will, therefore, push your website up in search engine results because it wants to deliver the best to the other users.
If your website’s bounce rate is high, this means that you get a low page ranking on Google.
How can you improve engagement?
- Always create posts that are easy to read. Make sure that you use headings and sub-heading, lists, short sentences, and short paragraphs.
- Use images throughout your posts. Including high-resolution images helps you break the post into different sections so that the content does not look like one really long and boring story.
- Lastly, reduce your bounce rate. You need to make sure that visitors do not just land on your page and leave without interacting further. Avoid poorly implemented and poorly designed landing pages.
- Guest posting
Guest posting involves writing posts that are published on other blogs, with the aim of increasing traffic to your blog. This is a great way to climb up the ladder faster than you might otherwise be able to.
Guest blogging can be done in two different ways. You can either write content and have it posted on a popular blog or find an influential blogger to write a guest post for your blog. When people read your post on a popular blog, they will always want to come to your blog to check out your other posts.
The secret here is to use original and high-quality content. Duplicate and repetitive content will be considered as spam and will most likely result in a penalty from Google.
Building backlinks is crucial for a good ranking on Google. Ranking without the use of backlinks is challenging; they play a huge role in determining your search ranking.
If you want good results, you must earn the links via high-quality content. These links are not only safe but are also extremely effective. On the other hand, low-quality links can harm your site since they are easily spammed.
Pay more focus on topics instead of keywords
It’s imperative that you understand what your audience needs and what they are looking for. This way, you will be in a better position to come up with content that answers their queries. If you are able to provide “rich results,” your content will be among the top results on Google.
Just because you create keyword-focused content does not guarantee that your content will end up on the first page of Google. You need to pay more attention to what the users expect from you. To do this you need to:
Know who your target audience is. If you understand them better, you will create better content which will improve your SEO.
- Organize your content into different themes to be able to cater to the different types of readers. This type of organization is far more user-friendly and will help you to cover multiple topics.
- Just because we asked that you pay more attention to topics, it does not mean that keywords do not matter. You can never ignore them entirely. Find appropriate keywords and use them sparingly. Always go for quality and not quantity.
Improve site speed
We cannot overemphasize on the importance of site speed. It is one of the factors that Google uses to determine your website’s ranking. Your site’s speed not only increases your way up Google’s ranking but also increases conversions.
Your website’s speed depends on how responsive it is. Generally, your website should take approximately 2 seconds or less to load. If the site takes more than 3 seconds to load, it’s highly likely that the visitors will leave.
Here are some of the ways in which you can improve your website’s load time:
- Optimize your images. Compressing the images uploaded to your website often cuts down page size by about 30%
- Use browser caching to temporarily store data and images in order to reduce bandwidth usage.
Reporting and analytics
By setting up an analytics platform, you are able to understand your audience’s needs and improve your marketing strategies.
Reporting and analytics help you to understand the visitor’s journey since you are able to track both micro and macro events. You can aggregate data from multiple data sources into a single interface to get a full view of how your content is doing.
You should always be on the lookout to see what your competitors are doing and whether it’s working for them or not. Find out how often they change their approach and what techniques they use.
Make your existing pages longer
The longer your posts are, the higher the likelihood of them ranking at the top. The reason why you should edit your already existing posts to make them longer is that the content already has authority.
Find a post from the past that has already established a readership and revise it with newer information. Additional content will most likely increase your ranking.
Focus on YouTube SEO
Compared to any other types of videos, YouTube videos are far more likely to rank in the top 10 of Google search. YouTube is a popular search engine; more popular than Yahoo, Bing, and AOL combined so it’s the high time you took advantage of it.
When you focus on YouTube SEO, you will get your website on the first page of Google. You will end up getting twice the traffic; from both Google and YouTube.
How to improve YouTube SEO:
- Make the video SEO-friendly by using compelling titles, filenames, meta-tags, and descriptions. The title should have about 5 words. Whenever possible; include a keyword to the title.
- Longer videos do much better in YouTube search. To get the most traction, make sure that your video is no less than 5 minutes long.
- A great video thumbnail functions in the same way as a great headline. The better your video thumbnail is, the more clicks you get and the higher you will rank. Try to create a strong thumbnail that tells viewers exactly what the video is all about.
- Local SEO and listings – If you want to remain profitable, you need to make use of local SEO and listings. In this day and age, it is still very important that you keep your listings updated. For example, you need to make sure that your physical contact and phone number information is current. You should also ensure that other important details like extra locations, the latest opening hours and the modes of payment that you accept are listed.
Search engines rely on additional information from local and on-the-ground sources which gather and submit all the relevant data about the area businesses. This data may be pooled from sources such as physical directories or business registration information. Bigger search engines such as Google rely on these data aggregators to fill in the gap of already existing information.
It is very important for you to ensure that your website is solid so that you don’t have to worry about any technical issues arising.
Let us have a look at what you should do to make sure that your website is up to par:
- You should start by switching from HTTP to HTTPS. HTTPS a more secure web protocol. It makes it harder for hackers to break into your website. The switch has become a necessity in this era of cyber security threats and increased SEO requirement.
- Create responsive, mobile-optimized content. This makes it easy for users to access your website from their smartphones and tablets.
- Invest in crawlers; these will ensure that Google is crawling your preferred pages and not those that appear on its index.
- You need to ensure that all your semantic markups are correct. These will assist Google to understand your data and as a result, show your website’s voice searches.
Basically, semantic markups are HTML tags that function to emphasize important information on your website. Make sure that the semantic markups are as accurate as possible.
- Fix all the 404 errors. Ensure that you find all the missing or broken pages that lead to a dead end and get them fixed. 404 pages sink your site’s search ranking.
- Use web browser plug-ins. These make work so much easier by allowing you keep track of 404 errors and 301 redirects. Generally, they keep your website tight and functioning smoothly.
SEO techniques are constantly changing. Business owners who run online websites need to adapt quickly to give their business websites the edge on their competition. It is, therefore, very important that they pay more attention to solid content creation that engages their visitors and stays ahead of trends such as website speed, back links, and overall SEO health.